Friday, December 6, 2013



I had a great year teaching basket workshops from Rockaway Beach on the northern Oregon coast, to Morro Bay in the central California coast, and from Eugene to  Ashland Oregon.
The people in my classes were as varied as the pieces they created. Charlie, a horse veterinarian  was probably the most inspiring of them all. He has very large hands, but his first basket was quite small and his stitches were perfect, as I am sure the stitches he used to care for the horses were. He referred to the waxed linen we were using as sutures. The next basket he made  the following week is the one pictured above , I think for his wife. He chose a beautiful stone for the center.
 In Eugene I taught a pair of twin girls who were 10 years old. They caught on very quickly and were going to take their new talent to New Zealand where they were going to attend school.
This upcoming year I plan to teach once again in these wonderful places and hopefully reconnect with Charlie and all the other wonderful people I have met on my quest to get people hooked on making pine needle baskets. Maybe I will meet some of you along the way. I hope so.......
 Until then, good night and sweet dreams.    

No comments:

Post a Comment